Friday, August 26, 2011

Friday Cocktail--Chocolate Russians

I've never been a big drinker, but I do enjoy a good drink once in a while.  Generally, a 'girly' drink or a Gin and Tonic are my poison of choice.  Usually if one of these aren't available, I'm happier with a Diet Coke or Iced Tea.  Sometimes though, there is just something that triggers the hankering for an adult beverage.  Yesterday it happened to be a trip to a local retailer.  Since I've become a stay-at-home-mom, I've had trouble getting used to the differences of daytime crowds.  When I was working, I would rush into a grocery store immediately after work, or at 8am on a Saturday, run through as quickly as possible and moan about the lack of registers the entire time.  Incorrectly, I assumed that between 8 and 5 on weekdays, the stores were deserted, just waiting on the lonely mom to wander through.  Incorrect might actually be an understatement.  I am baffled by the amount of traffic and people on weekdays.  The crowds are different, but the numbers are the same (and the registers are less!)  The thing is, for shopping, I still have that 'run through' mentality, so the meandering pace that can occur during the day absolutely drives me nuts.  On this particular visit, I went to a store I don't usually shop for some odds and ends.  Every single person wanted to talk to my daughter, and that's okay, albeit a little frustrating.  She is awfully cute, and way too friendly for her own good.  But, my quick trip turned into half an hour of just shopping.  Then came the check out.  Four items and $15 should be quick.  Unfortunately, day time shoppers still use checks-lots of them.  So, the two women in front of me slooowly wrote out their checks and then slooowly filled in their check registers (do people even know what these are anymore?!).  Then, it's my turn.  I try to swipe my card (hello, 21st century), and get a beep.  "You have to answer our survey question first," says the cashier.  Um.  Seriously?  
"What do you care most about when looking for jeans?"
"Not answering silly questions at the cash register."  (aka whatever answer happened to be third on the list)
Swipe card.  Beep.
"You have to entire your email address"
"No, thanks."
"Okay, just press no."
Press No.  Swipe card.  Beep.
"You have to say why you said no."
"I don't have time."
"Press the 'I don't have time option.'"

Seriously?  I'm going back to check books.  And, I wish I was exaggerating this encounter.  Here's a fun recipe for when you have a shopping trip or a day like this.  Oh, and you can make a virgin version, it's called chocolate milk.

Chocolate Russian
8 oz Chocolate Milk
1 1/2 oz  Coffee Liquour
1 1/2 oz Vodka
Whipped Cream

Mix the milk and alcohols together with ice, then strain and serve with a float of fresh whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. Roonbug!!! Sounds luscious!! Will try very soon..not good for Brady ? nah not yet.. squeeze lilly pad for us!!

    ReplyDelete