Thursday, August 25, 2011

Buffalo Cheese Ball--A Tutorial


I love all things buffalo.  There is just something about that buttery hot flavor that just makes me smile.  One of my favorite meals is the buffalo chicken salad at Chili's Restaurant (sans Pico) and I haven't met a crispy buffalo wing I didn't like.  I have several dozen buffalo recipes bookmarked to try (including this awesome looking one here:  http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/01/31/buffalo-chicken-rolls/).  The problem is, hubby likes buffalo, but isn't a huge fan of overly spicy food, so I have to balance the flavor with the spice.  Sometimes though, simple is best.  A good friend of mine brought this cheese ball to my house years ago and it's become a quick go to favorite for appetizers and parties.  I'm also going to attempt my first step-by-step pictures, because a figured out a quick trick for making cheese balls to save your hands from getting a cream cheese manicure.
After you mix your cheeses together (this works for this recipe, but also for cheese balls coated in nuts or other toppings), sprinkle your remaining loose cheese on a large sheet of plastic wrap.  


Next, scoop your mixture into a reasonable ball shape and place in the middle of the plastic wrap.  


Use the plastic wrap to move the cheese around the ball, coating it.  Twist the corners of the plastic wrap together, forming a tight ball.  Refrigerate until firm.  

The amounts below are for a single family serving size.  I highly recommend doubling for a party or gathering, or for more than one a few person(s).  The nice thing is you can adjust all of the flavors in this recipe.  Increase or decrease the hot sauce according to your like of spice.  Make using fat free cheeses for low guilt.  Replace half of the cheddar cheese with crumbled blue cheese.  Don't even take the time to roll it into a ball--simply scoop out of the bowl with crackers.  

Buffalo Cheese Ball
1 8oz package cream cheese-slightly softened
1/4 C. hot sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot)
1 Tb. ranch dressing seasoning (dry)
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese (divided)

Mix the cream cheese with the hot sauce, the seasoning, and 3/4 C of  the cheddar cheese until combined.  Roll into a ball and coat with the remaining cheese.  Serve chilled with crackers/chips/celery. 







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip Kacey! I would have never thought of using plastic wrap to make the ball nice and neat.

    ReplyDelete