Thursday, August 18, 2011

Crispy, Chewy Brownies & Other Oxymorons


When I when in highschool (last May, obviously...of course I didn't graduate 10 years ago) oxymoron was definitely my favorite word.  You could sound super smart throwing out a word like that, plus it has moron (*hehe*) in it.  There's clearly nothing more mature than muttering "oxymoron" under your breath when some mentions highschool education.  As I've gotten older and started to enjoy baking I began to realize that when you're baking there is nothing better than a good oxymoron.  If you can make a rich mousse, or a light pound cake you've achieved success.  When I saw this recipe for Oooey Gooey Fudgey Brownies on the awesome blog How Sweet Eats it brought me back to an old recipe I've tried before.  I combined the two to come up with a crispy, yet wonderfully chewy brownie.  A hint is to use a separate spatula to fold in each addition, that way you have 3 extra spoons to lick.*  Enjoy!


Reese's Brownies with a Crispy Crust
1/2 Cup Salted Butter
3 oz unsweetened chocolate (I like Ghiradelli)
2 Cups sugar
4 eggs
1 Cup flour
1/2 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
8 Reese's Cups
1 1/2 Cup mini marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 350°.  In a double boiler or the microwave melt the butter and the unsweetened chocolate.    In a separate bowl beat the eggs.  Using an electric mixer, beat the butter/chocolate mixture and the sugar until smooth and creamy.  Add in the eggs slowly.  Mix in the flour until combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips, the Reese's and the marshmallows.  Bake 35-40 minutes.

*I don't recommend consuming raw eggs.  You're on your own with that--well you'll be doing it with along with me, but not because I told you to!

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! Reese's is my favorite candy and while I've had then in brownies before, I've never thought of adding marshmallows as well!

    ReplyDelete