Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken


My little one and I are packing up for a long weekend trip to sunny Florida to see family there.  I'm so excited to see the sun again.  I love the cooler weather that fall and winter bring (yup, even the below freezing temperatures), but I really hate the gray that seems to take over the landscape as soon as the leaves drop.  I've given up trying to take food pictures in the natural light, because the most natural light we see during the day is the glow of a bright day on television.  This is the first time for baby to fly (she's a bit over one), so I'm a little nervous about how she's going to deal with 2 hours cooped up on a plane.  But, on the other hand, I've flown with my husband several times, and if I can make it through a flight with him, then I'm thinking a one-year-old in my lap is going to be no problemo.  I have a Simply Cookie Saturday scheduled to post (you're just going to have to wait!) for while I'm away, but I wanted to leave you with a great fall slow-cooker dish.  This is so simple and tasty.  Next time, I'll definitely toss some broccoli in at the end, but feel free to adjust to your tastes.  I've heard quite a few friends talking about a balsamic chicken in the slow-cooker, but I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes, so this is a tomato-free variation.  


Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
2 large chicken breasts, cut into large chunks (I used boneless, skinless, frozen, breasts)
2 Tbl flour
3/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup Diet Sprite (or similar white soda)
1 clove crushed garlic
1/2 tsp. grated ginger (I like fresh)
2/3 Cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbl soy sauce
black pepper to taste

Toss chicken breasts in flour to coat and set aside.  Combine all other ingredients in a large slow cooker.  Add chicken and stir.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 2-3.  About 20 minutes before serving, pull chicken slightly (not to the consistency of pulled pork), you just want nice bite size chunks.  Add any vegetables you'd like (broccoli or sugar snap peas would be great).  Cook on high for 10-20 minutes more.  Serve over brown rice.  

This post is linked to A Little Nosh's Tastetastic Thursday and Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday check out all the great recipes there!


4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, Kacey! I love slow cooker recipes any time of the year, but especially now that it's getting cooler. I know what you mean about the grayness that overtakes the landscape... my grandfather always used to say that Western PA is one of the most beautiful places 3/4 of the year, but once winter hits, it looks like a nuclear bomb went off.

    Your plates are so pretty, too! Enjoy your vacation =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the flight goes well for you. Balsamic chicken is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kacey,
    Your Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken looks delicious, I am going to try your recipe very soon. My very best wishes to you and your family for a blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen
    A New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing. You're one of the featured posts this week!

    ReplyDelete