Friday, October 7, 2011

Easiest Ever Seafood Dip

Growing up, we spent our Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter running between different grandparents' houses.  We had wonderful, albeit crazy days.  Christmas eve, though, we spent at home.  We'd go to church and then my mom would make snacks and we'd relax.  Sometimes we'd have company, sometimes it would be just our little family.  Inevitably, there would be seafood dip.  I'm not sure why I've been thinking about this dip so much, maybe it's the Christmas decorations that are popping up in stores next to Halloween and Turkey Day displays, or maybe it's just the cooler weather that is starting to creep in.  For some reason, this easy, delicious spread only made an appearance on Christmas Eve (and then on New Years Eve).  My mom was way smarter than me and split the dip onto two small plates, I make the entire serving in a pie plate and have to exert inhuman self-control to stop my self from grabbing a cracker-ful every time I walk past the refrigerator!  Give this dip a try for football games, or the holidays, or an afternoon by yourself.  *Note that I use a small can of crab meat, my mom always used a small can of clams, and I have an aunt who always used these minuscule shrimp.  What I'm saying is use what ever you like--but make sure it's cooked and ready to eat (not raw).


Seafood Cream Cheese Dip
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1 6oz can cooked crab meat (or shell-fish of choice)
1 12oz bottle cocktail sauce
1 Tbl horseradish (optional, to taste)
1 dash hot sauce

Spread the cream cheese on the bottom of a pie plate (or 9x9 dish).  In a bowl, mix all of the other ingredients.  Spread mixture on top of the cream cheese.  Serve with crackers or toasted bread rounds.

This post is linked to A Little Nosh's Tastetastic Thursday.  Check out all the great recipes there:  Tastetastic Thursday

1 comment:

  1. I've had this before, and had forgotten how much I loved it. I'm going to feature this recipe this weekend! Thanks for linking up!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete