Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Puffy Pancakes



When I was growing up we ate breakfast at a fancy* pancake place occasionally.  *Fancy here just implies that it wasn't within 5 minutes and it wasn't the local Eat 'N Park.  They have (or had, I'm honestly not sure if they are still in business) on their menu an item called Dutch Babies.  The description was right out of a thesaurus.  "Fluffy, light, airy pancakes baked and topped with cinnamon apples--takes 40 minutes to prepare."  Now, I have pretty awesome parents, but I think the idea of waiting an extra 40 minutes for breakfast in a crowded restaurant didn't really appeal, so while I was never told not to order these delectable pillows of goodness, I was definitely dissuaded.  I honestly kind of forgot about this breakfast treat until last winter when I saw a picture of the infamous dutch baby in a magazine.  I searched and found about a bazillion recipes.  Apparently they are not all that elusive.  AND, the best part?!  They certainly don't take 40 minutes to prepare.  The worst part is having the patience for your oven to preheat to a scorching 475°.  Simply combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl while the oven is preheating with your baking dish in it.  When preheated, put a few tablespoons of butter in to the pan to melt and the pour your batter in to bake. You want the pan to be very hot.  The butter will end up on top of the batter a little.  


Place bake in the oven and bake for 12 minutes until golden brown and delightfully puffy.  


It will flatten out a little when you cut into it.  There are a zillion ways to serve it.  My personal preference is lemon and powdered sugar.  Also warm maple syrup, cinnamon apples, nutella, the sky's the limit!


This recipe makes a 8-10in round (yup, any size works, all equally delicious!) and is two good size servings.  

Dutch Babies-aka Puffy Pancakes
2 eggs
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
small pinch cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs butter

Place an 8 or 10 in casserole or cast iron pan in the oven and preheat to 475°.  Combine the beaten eggs and the milk in a bowl.  Stir in the dry ingredients until smooth and add in the vanilla.  When the oven is preheated, remove the pan, and quickly melt the butter in the hot pan and pour the batter into it.  Return to the oven, lower the temperature to 425° and bake for 12 minutes.  Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. I had to check out your blog when I saw how you spell your name! Definitely the way to spell it!
    This recipe looks fabulous and I enjoyed reading your posts! Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so neat looking! Definitely one to try on a Saturday when I have some extra time. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother-in-law introduced me to dutch babies (we call them oven pancakes but it's teh same thing). So delicious!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will definitely try these this weekend - I am thinking even non-pancake lovers like my husband will like these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is very sad that your parents never let you order these. It's a good thing you're a great cook!!

    ReplyDelete