Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Best Scrambled Eggs!

Today's post is brought to you by slackers everywhere.  I just realized that its been over a month since I last posted!  Maybe you didn't even notice I'd been gone?!  To get started back into it, I want to go slowly.  No recipe today, just a how-to on making the best, easiest, (and sort of healthiest) scrambled eggs.  

Growing up, I worked in a country club restaurant as a waitress.  I pretty consistently worked the Sunday brunch shift and I loved it.  The Sunday shift had regulars, and I loved getting to know people.  I could bring their drinks as soon as they sat down and watch their kids grow.  But most of all, I loved that before we got busy, the cooks always whipped me up a breakfast.  I'm a breakfast fiend.  I'm pretty sure that between breakfast foods and pizza, I could live very contentedly.  I started to ask the sous chef on duty what made their eggs so delicious (almost all restaurant scrambled eggs are light and fluffy and oh-so tasty).  The first time I asked they said they added whipping cream.  The second time I asked they said they didn't add cream, they added 1/2 tsp honey for each egg.  And the last time they said never add anything but water.  Does this make sense to you?  Because it certainly didn't to me.  I've been searching and trying different methods and I finally found my "better-than-a-restaurant" scrambled eggs.  Are you ready for this?!
Beat 2 eggs in a bowl until they are bubbly, frothy and you cannot distinguish the whites from the yolks at all.    Add salt and pepper if desired.  If I'm making a large batch, I use a hand mixer set on low.  In a small non-stick skillet put just enough oil, butter, or non-stick spray to coat and set the heat to low (2 is what I use on my gas range)  Give the eggs one last whisk and pour slowly into the skillet. If you like large curds, just lightly push the eggs around every few minutes.  For smaller curds, you can continue to scramble in the pan.  KEEP THE HEAT ON LOW!  This will take awhile, but good things come to those who wait.  

Once the eggs have solidified a little, you can use half of the skillet to warm up any toppings/mix-ins.  Top with cheese if desired.

Serve and enjoy!  

Keys to a perfect scrambled egg:
  • Add nothing to the eggs except salt and/or pepper
  • Whisk eggs vigorously, that's how they get fluffy
  • Cook on very low heat-creates even, fluffy, moist eggs


This post is linked to Inside BruCrew Life's Trick or Treat Tuesdays.  Check out the great links there (and while you're there check out the awesome blog--I love her recipes!!)


1 comment:

  1. I'm such a dork. I just stir the eggs until they are mixed up. I never whisk them because it never occurred to me that it makes them fluffier. Sheesh. Where have I been??? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete